Friday, October 31, 2008

Dia De Los Muertos Altar for my Hefito...

Today I am setting up the altar for my dad...for the Dia De Los Muertos celebration at Centro Cultural Aztlan on Sunday...It will be six years since my hefito left on his next journey...I will be back with more soon....there are a number of Dia de Los Muertos activities happening around San Antonio...you can view a good number of the listings at the  sacalaveras.com events calendar. Update...here is a preview of the altar...it is ready for the final items like fresh fruit, Dia de los Muertos bread, favorite foods, vegeteables, fresh tortillas, tamales, atillito, dulcecitos, and all the other cositas that my hefito liked...There are also other items that are placed on the altar, personal belongings of the loved one like books-my father had a large collection of books that he read-most of them were for reference except for his bible in which he took notes and most of them he got rid of so these few books are what remained, tools-he had so many really old ones too, and special things in the case of my father-his big cup for his daily atolito de abenita... tonight the evening at Centro Cultural Aztlan will be festive and nostalgic one...I hope to see everyone there... 


While I was setting up the altar for my father I had a few visitors...Raul and the vatos locos from Sabor Kolombia, were in town shooting a video and they were across the street eating lunch. They heard about our Dia De Los Muertos celebration that was going to take place in the evening, since they were going to be busy they wanted to stop by and look at all the alters that were set up and ready for the evening festivities
...Also visiting before the event was Prof. Rosita Harper from The University of Findlay in Ohio...she had found out about the event and a workshop that I was presenting at Centro Cultural Aztlan for the Dia De Los Muertos pre-weekend activities and came to visit for the evening events...It is always a pleasure to talk to people while I am installing my altar to my father...I find that it allows me to tell the stories that are held within all the items I place on his altar. That, I am sure, would make him happy...

No comments: